Eating Habits & Care for Orthodontics
Congratulations on getting your new braces! We are very happy to have you as a patient, and we want you to have the best possible orthodontic experience. We also want you to be able to get your braces off as soon as possible, so that you can enjoy your fabulous new smile! Here are a few helpful hints to make your time in braces go smoothly and quickly.
Avoid Hard, Sticky and Chewy Foods
- Hard foods cause brackets and wires to break. Hard foods would include: whole apples, popcorn, carrots, corn tortilla chips, hard breads, ice.
- Sticky foods damage appliances by bending wires and pulling the cement loose. Foods that commonly cause problems include gum, caramel, taffy, Skittles, Starburst, and other sticky candies.
Brushing and Flossing
You should be spend approximately 3-5 minutes every time you brush your teeth
· Please brush your teeth after each meal.
· You will need to spend more time brushing in order to adequately clean around your orthodontic appliances
· If it is not possible to brush after a meal, rinse with water to dislodge the food and plaque that can get trapped next to your orthodontic appliances
· Examine your teeth after you brush - If there are signs of plaque or debris on your teeth or braces, take the time to brush again.
It is easiest to floss with an Ortho Floss Threader or Superfloss (floss with a thickened end)
- Thread the floss through the floss threader
- Place the floss under the wire between the brackets
- Forming a “C” shape around one side of the tooth, use a gentle up and down motion going slightly below the gums
- Perform this motion on both sides of the tooth
- Remove the floss slowly, being careful not to catch it on the brackets
* As an alternative to flossing, you may use a Waterpik or similar device
Therabite Wafer Instructions
The Therabite wafer is an effective tool to help keep you comfortable in the first few days following an orthodontic wire change or adjustment. Using the Therabite wafer increases the blood flow to the teeth and surrounding tissues, resulting in decreased soreness and increased comfort.
· Beginning immediately after your appointment, place the Therabite wafer between your upper and lower teeth. Bite down and chew gently against the wafer, putting pressure on all of your teeth. Continue this pressure for 10 minutes and repeat every hour.
· The Therabite wafer is most effective in the first 24 hours following your appointment. However, if soreness persists, it may be effective up to 3 days following your apppointment.
· For maximum comfort, use the Therabite wafer before your teeth begin to feel sore. However, if your teeth are already sore, the Therabite wafer is still effective, so continue to use it.
If you notice that something is loose or broken. please call our office at 714-990-5414. When you call, we can guide you to help make yourself comfortable and if needed, we can make you a repair appointment or add repair time to your already scheduled next appointment.